Virtual Reality, Artificial Intelligence, and Blockchain. Probably the three biggest technology "buzz-words" being used today. Also the three biggest buzz-words that many would never think to be associated with Pain Management and preventing Addiction.
A new company called Virtual Rehab is spear heading this movement by combining these three up and coming techonologies to help better treat people with Pain and Addiction.
From a high level here's how they use these technologies:
- Artificial Intelligence - a uniquley designed AI that will identify areas of risk for patients, make treatment recommendations, and predict post-therapy behavior
- Virtual Reality - a virtual simulation of the real world using cognitive behavior and exposure therapy to trigger and cope with tempatations
- Blockchain - a secure network to ensure privacy and decentralization of all patient data and all information relevant to vulnerable populations
Here are some of the statistics from their website https://www.virtualrehab.co
- Burn patients reported a 35% to 50% decrease in perceived pain when using VR with standard pharmacologic treatment
- Researchers at Duke University are showing that when recovering people develop strategies to avoid relapse in a virtual world, they are able to take those strategies and use them in real-world situations
- VR significantly reduced the amount of opioid medication administered during painful wound care procedures
Although there is little evidence from the medical community in providing more extensive research in the effectiveness of "Virtual Health Care". It is still worth noting how incredible of an implementation of technology this is on the medical world. In not too much time, our society will inevitably be engulfed by these ever growing techonologies. It is wild to imagine just how these things will begin to change and improve our daily lives.