Joseph Peck, MD
Pain Management Physician located in South Bay Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, CA
At his practice, Dr. Peck provides patients in and around Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, CA and the South Bay Los Angeles region get the treatment they need for all of their spine and neck concerns. Dr. Peck can assist with the care and management of numerous neck and spine injuries including whiplash or neck strain.
Whiplash Treatment Q & A
What is Whiplash?
A neck strain associated with an accident or impact which causes the head to jerk backward or forward is commonly called whiplash. The sudden stop causes the neck muscles and tenders to stretch and sometime tear. Many people who play sports are affected by neck strains. Neck strains should not be confused with sprains. Sprains are caused by tearing ligaments, where strains are stretching of the muscles and tendons. However, both are treated in a relatively similar manner.
What Symptoms Does Whiplash Cause?
The pain associated with whiplash is often very difficult for a person to ignore or move past. Other symptoms can include:
- Decreased range of motion
- Tightness in neck
- Muscles may feel knotted or hard
- Headaches at base of skull which move to the forehead
- Rocking the head side to side or backward and forward is difficult or painful
Usually, pain from a neck injury occurs right away however it can take a few hours or days for the pain to show up.
What is the Treatment for Whiplash?
Depending on how sever the strain or sprain is treatment can vary but the basic treatment includes:
- Icing- To reduce pain and swelling it is recommended to ice the injury soon after it occurs for about 20 to 30 minutes every 3 to 4 hours. Continue icing for 2 to 3 days.
- Pain relievers- Doctors can recommend non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or naproxen drugs such as Aleve. If the pain and swelling is especially serve they may prescribe medications as well.
- Neck Brace- To give support if the injury is severe doctors may also suggest using a neck brace or collar.
- Moist heat- After the initial swelling has gone down, warm baths can soothe the muscles or warm, wet towel can be applied to the neck.
Recovery commonly takes a few days but it can depend on how severely the muscles, tendons, or ligaments were injured.
We take most PPO Insurance plans and Medicare, but we do not take Medi-Cal. Please contact us and we will let you know if we accept your type of medical insurance plan.
Words from our patients
"Dr. Peck is fantastic. I've got a chronic back issue and he listens well, treats me like a person and provides options, treatments, and suggestions with sympathy."
"Dr. Peck is a great doctor. He listens and I don't fill rushed by him at all. This is a nice and clean office and would recommend it to anyone."
"Accurate and professional, his pain treatment and rehab expertise is outstanding."
"Very professional and personable. He really cares about his patients and it shows in his work."